SWITCH Projects Deliver Decarbonisation
South Wales has strength in decarbonisation research developed over decades of investment in multi-disciplinary research projects and facilities.
SWITCH is bringing together these established projects, making it easier to connect with the right people, skills and facilities to accelerate the decarbonisation of industry and society.
Over the past decade, project teams across south Wales have successfully delivered practical solutions for industry, advanced new technologies and developed skills for our future workforce in a net zero society.
Research projects coming together as SWITCH include:
- Flexis App
- Gateway to Zero
- Materials and Manufacturing Academy (M2A)
- METaL work-based materials and manufacturing training
- Rapid Alloy Prototyping Prosperity Partnership
- Reducing Industrial Carbon Emissions (RICE)
- SaMI Steel and Metals Institute
- South Wales Industrial Cluster
- SPECIFIC Innovation and Knowledge Centre
- SUNRISE international solar energy network
- SUSTAIN Steel
These projects and the people within them have developed and been supported by a range of accessible facilities in the region, including:
- Advanced Imaging of Materials
- Centre for Integrative Semiconductor Manufacturing
- Gas Turbine Research Centre
- Hydrogen Research and Demonstration Centre
- Institute of Structural Materials ISM
- SPECIFIC’s Pilot Manufacturing Resource Centre and laboratories
- Sustainable Environment Research Centre SERC
- SWITCH Harbourside
Only by working together can we tackle the net zero challenge
In our increasingly complex and connected world, getting to net zero will need simultaneous transformation of vital and interconnected sectors – such as energy, housing and the built environment, transport, agriculture. Change in any one of these sectors will change the others.
By better connecting this existing regional innovation ecosystem, SWITCH is supporting the necessary industrial transformation and societal decarbonisation.
The expertise within our projects includes:
- Carbon management
- Energy materials and energy storage
- Energy systems, energy infrastructure and power generation
- Green hydrogen
- Net zero buildings and transport
- Net zero materials and manufacturing
If you’re on the journey to net zero or industrial decarbonisation, please contact us to find out how you can access our research expertise.